Ajmer Dargah: HC notice on appointing `Nazim`
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday
asked the Centre to explain the adhoc appointment of a `nazim`
(administrator) for the cash-reach shrine of sufi saint Hazrat
Khawaja Moinuddin Chishti at Ajmer.
"Issue notice to the respondents (the Ministry of
Minority Affairs and the Dargah Management Committee) for
December 9," Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw said.
The court was hearing a petition of Arshad Faridi, a
journalist, that the established procedures, discussed in the
Dargah Khwaja Saheb Act for appointment of the `nazim`, have
been overlooked by the Ministry of Minority Affairs.
The petition, filed through advocate Syed Ahmed Saud, has
also sought quashing of a circular by which senior clerk Abdul
Majeed Khan has been "delegated the role of the `nazim` for
the management and administration of the affairs of the
Seeking initiation of "proper procedure" for
appointing a regular administrator, the petition also seeks a
review of all the decisions taken by the adhoc `nazim`.
"The dargah of sufi saint Hazrat Khawaja Moinuddin
Chishti Rehmatullah Aleyh at Ajmer is visited by lakhs of
people every year from the world over and those devotees in
order to please and seek blessings of the great saint tender
offerings in kind and in money," it said, adding the
appointment of an adhoc `nazim` would put the huge wealth of
the dargah at risk.
"The respondent Ministry has, in a break from the
past and working in an arbitrary manner, proposed that one
Abdul Majeed Khan be appointed as a temporary Nazim," it
The adhoc measure of the Centre made a mockery of the
office of `nazim` and would result in loss of faith and trust
of devotees worldwide causing "loss of offerings, which would
not only directly affect the future projects but also
gradually put the administration of the dargah in pre-1955
gloomy situations," the petition said.
"The petitioner is aggrieved by lackadaisical attitude
of the Ministry by which neither Ahmed Raza`s term has been
extended as per the recommendation of the Dargah Committee nor
has the selection process been initiated in time to appoint a
regular nazim having full term. Instead, ad-interim measure
has been taken which not only is improper but also puts the
office of the administration and finances of the Dargah at
huge risk," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends