All bargains & little sales at trade fair
New Delhi: "Delhiites have this peculiar tendency to do over bargain!"
This is what Rafe Farooq, a stall owner at the India International Trade Fair here, says when asked about visitors and the sales` trend this year.
Farooq is accompanied by a host of other stall owners from different states` pavilions who share the opinion that "incessant bargaining" is not helping sales this year.
"We are managing to sell hardly 10 sarees per day, that too cheap ones. Most of the people come here and keep on bargaining and for prices which we simply can`t afford to give at," says Farooq, owner of Taj Baba sarees in the Bihar pavilion.
Frustrated at visitors` continued bargaining, some stall owners say they were contemplating inflating the prices to a point where they could earn some profits even after hard negotiations.
"People want jute curtains Rs 400 worth for Rs 150. Even if we agree to give a discount, most often people walk off without buying anything if we don`t agree to their prices," says Suchan Kuriya, a jute handicrafts stall owner at the West
"We`re running into losses and will seriously reconsider participating in this fair next year," he says.
Another stall owner from West Bengal claims sales were not up the mark considering the state is one of the "focus" states this year.
"Sales have been strictly ok but considering that it is one of the focus states this year, they are below expectations," says Tapan Bairagi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof