All bargains & little sales at trade fair
New Delhi: "Delhiites have this peculiar tendency to do over bargain!"
This is what Rafe Farooq, a stall owner at the India International Trade Fair here, says when asked about visitors and the sales` trend this year.
Farooq is accompanied by a host of other stall owners from different states` pavilions who share the opinion that "incessant bargaining" is not helping sales this year.
"We are managing to sell hardly 10 sarees per day, that too cheap ones. Most of the people come here and keep on bargaining and for prices which we simply can`t afford to give at," says Farooq, owner of Taj Baba sarees in the Bihar pavilion.
Frustrated at visitors` continued bargaining, some stall owners say they were contemplating inflating the prices to a point where they could earn some profits even after hard negotiations.
"People want jute curtains Rs 400 worth for Rs 150. Even if we agree to give a discount, most often people walk off without buying anything if we don`t agree to their prices," says Suchan Kuriya, a jute handicrafts stall owner at the West
"We`re running into losses and will seriously reconsider participating in this fair next year," he says.
Another stall owner from West Bengal claims sales were not up the mark considering the state is one of the "focus" states this year.
"Sales have been strictly ok but considering that it is one of the focus states this year, they are below expectations," says Tapan Bairagi.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today