Allow Tihar inmates use phone for lawyers: A Raja
New Delhi: Former Telecom Minister A Raja, who spent over 15 months in Tihar jail for his alleged role in the 2G spectrum case, has suggested to the Delhi government to allow Tihar inmates use the telephone facility to consult their lawyers.
Sources in the Delhi government said Raja`s written request, which is being considered, was sent to them before he was released from the jail on May 15.
At present, prison inmates are allowed to talk to their friends and relatives.
However, they are barred from talking to their counsels and discuss the issues related to their case over the telephone.
The inmates can discuss their case with their counsels only when they meet them inside the jail premises. This becomes a constraint for inmates whose lawyers did not turn up at times, they said.
Eighteen telephone booths at present function inside the nine jails of the Tihar Prisons. Inmates are allowed to talk to their family members seven days in a week.
Each inmate has to pay Rs 100 per month for local and Rs 200 for STD calls. The duration of each call is not more than five minutes. All calls are recorded to check for any misuse of the facility.
Raja was sent to Jail one of Tihar Prisons on February 17 last year. After a stay of 15 months, he was released on May 15 on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror