Allow Tihar inmates use phone for lawyers: A Raja
New Delhi: Former Telecom Minister A Raja, who spent over 15 months in Tihar jail for his alleged role in the 2G spectrum case, has suggested to the Delhi government to allow Tihar inmates use the telephone facility to consult their lawyers.
Sources in the Delhi government said Raja`s written request, which is being considered, was sent to them before he was released from the jail on May 15.
At present, prison inmates are allowed to talk to their friends and relatives.
However, they are barred from talking to their counsels and discuss the issues related to their case over the telephone.
The inmates can discuss their case with their counsels only when they meet them inside the jail premises. This becomes a constraint for inmates whose lawyers did not turn up at times, they said.
Eighteen telephone booths at present function inside the nine jails of the Tihar Prisons. Inmates are allowed to talk to their family members seven days in a week.
Each inmate has to pay Rs 100 per month for local and Rs 200 for STD calls. The duration of each call is not more than five minutes. All calls are recorded to check for any misuse of the facility.
Raja was sent to Jail one of Tihar Prisons on February 17 last year. After a stay of 15 months, he was released on May 15 on bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Sheena Bora murder spread over various cities
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!