Amendments to the SEBI Act get LS nod
New Delhi: Lok Sabha on Tuesday approved amendments to the SEBI Act providing for appointment of presiding officer at the Securities Appellate Tribunal (SAT).
The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Amendment) Bill, 2013 to amend SEBI Act, 1992 was introduced in the House on August 14 by Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena.
The new bill seeks to replace the ordinance regarding appointment of SAT presiding officer.
The post of SAT presiding officer fell vacant in November 2011. Since suitable candidates could not be immediately found, SEBI Act was amended by an ordinance to include sitting or retired High Court judges with at least seven years` experience as one of the qualifications for the post.
SAT adjudicates upon appeals against the decisions of capital market regulator SEBI.
Replying to a brief debate on the bill, Finance Minister P Chidambaram assured the House that the new legislation is not meant for downgrading or diluting the powers of the tribunal.
Earlier, Saidul Haque (CPI-M) had moved a statutory resolution in the House seeking the disapproval of the ordinance promulgated by the President on May 29.
He questioned the government`s decision to bring ordinance instead of Parliamentary route to amend the bill.
He demanded strong action against fraud chit fund organisations like Saradha Chit Fund in West Bengal which are allegedly running ponzi schemes.
Nishikant Dubey (BJP), Satpal Maharaj (Cong), Shailendra Kumar (SP), B Mahtab (BJD) and Raghuvansh Prasad Singh (RJD) participated in the debate.
Opposition members criticised the Government for bringing the ordinance, bypassing Parliament on such important bills.
Later, Haque withdrew the statutory resolution and the bill was passed without any opposition.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview