Anand Vihar station inaugurated to cater East-bound trains
New Delhi: The Anand Vihar mega railway
terminal in East Delhi, which is expected to decongest New
Delhi station, was thrown open to public on Saturday, mostly
catering to East-bound trains.
Inaugurating the terminal along with Delhi Chief
Minister Sheila Dixit, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee said
the terminal will be integrated with Delhi Metro`s Anand Vihar
station nearby, which would be inaugurated by December end.
Two trains to West Bengal will start operating from the
new station shortly, even as Railway have decided to start
another three existing trains from there in March.
The swanky looking terminal building has may firsts to
its credit. They include loading and unloading of parcels and
food items in the station yard to ensure platform cleanliness.
A museum adorned with black and white photographs
capturing the illustrious past of Northern Railways also finds
space at the complex, which is spread over 6000 sqm area.
Several other modern amenities also give the station a
The Minister, on the occasion, also flagged off a ladies
special train called "matrubhumi special" through remote
control from Ghaziabad to New Delhi.
She also flagged off a winter special train to Lucknow
from Anand Vihar and a 14-coach EMU from Delhi to Panipat
(through remote control).
The Rs 85 crore new terminal project was originally
scheduled for inauguration in 2007 but skipped many deadlines.
With its inauguration today, the Railways department is
hopeful that it will ease the pressure off New Delhi station
which is presently operating to its capacity.
"The new terminal will cater to over three lakh people in
full capacity and handle over 250-odd trains," a railway
Northern Railway also plans to develop two other railway
terminals on the city vicinity at Holambi Kalan, Shakurbasti
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!