Anand Vihar station inaugurated to cater East-bound trains
New Delhi: The Anand Vihar mega railway
terminal in East Delhi, which is expected to decongest New
Delhi station, was thrown open to public on Saturday, mostly
catering to East-bound trains.
Inaugurating the terminal along with Delhi Chief
Minister Sheila Dixit, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee said
the terminal will be integrated with Delhi Metro`s Anand Vihar
station nearby, which would be inaugurated by December end.
Two trains to West Bengal will start operating from the
new station shortly, even as Railway have decided to start
another three existing trains from there in March.
The swanky looking terminal building has may firsts to
its credit. They include loading and unloading of parcels and
food items in the station yard to ensure platform cleanliness.
A museum adorned with black and white photographs
capturing the illustrious past of Northern Railways also finds
space at the complex, which is spread over 6000 sqm area.
Several other modern amenities also give the station a
The Minister, on the occasion, also flagged off a ladies
special train called "matrubhumi special" through remote
control from Ghaziabad to New Delhi.
She also flagged off a winter special train to Lucknow
from Anand Vihar and a 14-coach EMU from Delhi to Panipat
(through remote control).
The Rs 85 crore new terminal project was originally
scheduled for inauguration in 2007 but skipped many deadlines.
With its inauguration today, the Railways department is
hopeful that it will ease the pressure off New Delhi station
which is presently operating to its capacity.
"The new terminal will cater to over three lakh people in
full capacity and handle over 250-odd trains," a railway
Northern Railway also plans to develop two other railway
terminals on the city vicinity at Holambi Kalan, Shakurbasti
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks