Anger on Delhi streets as gang-rape victim battles for life
New Delhi: The streets of Delhi witnessed an outpour of anger on Friday over the recent gang-rape of a para-medic student in a moving bus on Sunday night.
With slogans like “we want justice, we want justice…,” hundreds of angry women activists and students marched up to the Raisina Hill this afternoon demanding that justice be delivered to the girl who is fighting for life at the Safdarjang Hospital.
The protesters under the aegis of AIDWA, YWCA and JNUSU among others started their march from Rajpath and as they reached Vijay Chowk, they went past the barricades erected at the entrance of Raisina Hill and moved towards Rashtrapati Bhavan and South and North Blocks.
Policemen said the crowd attempted to force its way into Rashtrapati Bhavan, but was diverted back to India Gate.
A girl identified as Swati even managed to go near the Rashtrapati Bhavan but was escorted back.
"They do nothing to protect us, and when we want justice, they say we need permission to enter the President`s house. Such a heinous crime has occurred, and they expect us to seek permission to protest," Swati said.
The protesters then marched towards India Gate shouting slogans like “we want justice”, “we want safe Delhi for women” etc.
The protesters were also demanding that strict steps be taken to ensure such horrific incidents never take place again.
Another group, under the aegis of the newly launched Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), has been sitting in protest at Jantar Mantar in central Delhi. AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal demanded a strict law and fast-track courts to deal with rape cases.
Two days ago in a similar protest, around 200 people had gathered near North Block. They dispersed only after Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde agreed to meet a delegation of JNUSU students.
Meanwhile, hundreds of others protestors tried to block the traffic outside Safdarjang Hospital. The level of anger can be gauged from the fact that today is the fourth day of protests in the city, and it is not over.
The level of brutality meted out to the girl – her mutilated intestine had to be removed – has left the nation shocked and worried.
Protests are being staged in many parts of the country, with people coming out on the streets of cities like Jaipur, Jammu, Bangalore, Shimla, Thiruvanathapuram, Kolkata and Mumbai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'