Anna Hazare writes to PM, asks for a strong law to protect women
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of strong protests on the gang-rape of a young student, Anna Hazare on Monday shot off a letter to the Prime Minister demanding strong punishment like death penalty or life imprisonment for rapists.
Hazare said that there was a lot of anger among the youth of the country and government needs to understand that there was a need for change.
"It is the duty of the government to enact new laws to maintain order in the country. If strong laws advocating death penalty or life imprisonment had been enacted by the government, the six culprits involved in the gang rape wouldn`t have mustered the courage to commit such a sin," Hazare said.
The Gandhian, however, added that the government which failed to make strong laws against such heinous crimes in the last 65 years of independence, was equally responsible for the crime.
"Why in last 65 years government didn`t amend the laws to introduce the provision of death penalty or life imprisonment for such crimes?," Hazare asked.
He warmed the government that it should not "check the patience of people" and should rather work towards framing a strong legislature in this regard.
"In order to maintain law and order in the country people elect the representatives to Parliament and when an incident like this happens in the absence of a strong law people get angry. They are not to be blamed for this," Hazare said.
Hazare alleged that by invoking Section 144 government was trying to "kill democracy".
"Constitution has given right to the people to protest. If the government wants that people should not get agitated to such level they should enact a strong law to protect women, which is in their hands and is also their duty," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony