Anna Hazare`s painting by Tihar inmate fetches Rs 20,000
New Delhi: An oil painting of Anna Hazare by an inmate of India`s largest prison Tihar earned him Rs 20,000 in an exhibition, said jail officials.
"M Lankeshwaran, who is serving jail term for murder, made an oil painting of Anna Hazare which was put up in Tihar exhibition of paintings. A tourist bought it for Rs 20,000," said a jail official on Friday.
In 2011, Anna Hazare had spent three days in Tihar when he was sent to jail ahead of his fast for a strong Lokpal Bill.
The 51-year-old Lankeshwaran is among 20 trained painters in Tihar who are teaching painting to 30 inmates, keen on taking up the paint brush as their hobby.
The exhibitions of their paintings are organised at various palaces in the capital which include Select City Walk shopping mall and five-star hotels. Monetary assistance is provided by the Tihar jail authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video