Annapoorna Mishra elected East Delhi Mayor
New Delhi: Two-time BJP councillor Annapoorna Mishra was on Tuesday unanimously elected as the Mayor of East Delhi Municipal Corporation while her party colleague Usha Shastri became the Deputy Mayor.
The elections to the newly created East Delhi Municipal Corporation also saw four BJP and two Congress councillors being elected unopposed to the Standing Committee.
Mishra was elected from Sonia Vihar ward while Shastri was elected from Karawal Nagar.
Sections within the BJP belonging to Bihar and eastern UP had put pressure on the party leadership that someone from the region should hold the mayor`s post, party sources said.
The BJP councillors who were elected to Standing Committee are Mahak Singh (Brahmpuri), Lata Gupta (Pandav Nagar), Sanjay Kaushik (Jiwanpur) and Raj Kumar Dillan (Kalyanpuri).
Congress` Savita Sharma (Subhash Mohalla) and Varyam Kaur (Raghubirpura) were also elected unopposed to the six- member body. Congress` Asma Begum had also filed her nomination but later she withdrew it.
All the 64 councillors also took oath before the election of the officer bearers.
After elections were held, the first meeting of the Corporation was held during which a Rs 1,524 crore budget for the new civic body was passed.
According to the new budget, a councillor will get Rs 51 lakh for development works in his ward. The undivided MCD had proposed Rs 2.5 crore for each councillor.
BJP has nominated Mehak Singh as the Chairman of the Standing Committee while Lata Gupta will be Deputy Chairperson.
Another councillor B B Tyagi will be the Leader of House while Harsh Malhotra will be the Chairman of Education Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured