Annual fitness test of vehicles to start in Delhi
New Delhi: All private car owners in the city may soon have to go for an annual fitness test of their vehicles with the Delhi government all set to implement a two-year-old proposal aimed at reducing environment pollution.
As per the current norms, only commercial vehicles need to go for an annual fitness check while private vehicles which are more than 15 years old also require to prove their road worthiness.
The government had first come out with the proposal in 2010 with an aim to discourage plying of old and polluting vehicles in the city.
The Supreme Court-appointed Environment Pollution Control Authority (EPCA) had also recommended annual mandatory fitness checks of all private vehicles.
Indicating that the government was keen to implement the proposal, officials said a final decision on the issue will be taken by the Delhi Cabinet soon. As per official figures, Delhi currently has over 60 lakh vehicles.
They said government was considering allowing authorised service stations and automobile workshops to carry out fitness test of the vehicles and issue certificates on payment of a prescribed fee.
"The proposal is aimed at cutting down vehicular pollution and curbing breakdown of vehicles on road which often causes huge traffic jams," the officials said.
Punitive measures like hefty fine and even impounding of vehicles may be put in place to check the violators, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Ringing Bells starts delivery of Freedom 251 smartphone from today
- Tiger Shroff and Disha Patani's latest video is CUTE! Watch here
- Lenovo K4 Note gets a price cut; available at Rs 10,999
- RSS trying to ''appease'' Muslims: Shiv Sena
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Minnows Iceland dump mighty England out of Euro 2016