Annual fitness test of vehicles to start in Delhi
New Delhi: All private car owners in the city may soon have to go for an annual fitness test of their vehicles with the Delhi government all set to implement a two-year-old proposal aimed at reducing environment pollution.
As per the current norms, only commercial vehicles need to go for an annual fitness check while private vehicles which are more than 15 years old also require to prove their road worthiness.
The government had first come out with the proposal in 2010 with an aim to discourage plying of old and polluting vehicles in the city.
The Supreme Court-appointed Environment Pollution Control Authority (EPCA) had also recommended annual mandatory fitness checks of all private vehicles.
Indicating that the government was keen to implement the proposal, officials said a final decision on the issue will be taken by the Delhi Cabinet soon. As per official figures, Delhi currently has over 60 lakh vehicles.
They said government was considering allowing authorised service stations and automobile workshops to carry out fitness test of the vehicles and issue certificates on payment of a prescribed fee.
"The proposal is aimed at cutting down vehicular pollution and curbing breakdown of vehicles on road which often causes huge traffic jams," the officials said.
Punitive measures like hefty fine and even impounding of vehicles may be put in place to check the violators, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India