Another phone-tapping racket busted, three arrested
New Delhi: Delhi Police said Saturday that it had busted another gang involved in activity similar to the one being investigated in BJP leader Arun Jaitley`s call detail records (CDRs) access case.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police arrested three people -- Delhi Police constable Lalit Kumar, businessman Akash Jain and private detective Chandra Sekhar. The arrests were made Saturday, and the three were sent to two days` police custody by a city court.
"The accused were using the official e-mail ID of the Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP) Kalkaji to procure CDRs of some prominent personalities, including senior advocates and politicians," a police officer said.
Kumar was posted at the office of ACP Kalkaji while Chandra Sekhar runs a detective agency from his office in east Delhi`s Laxmi Nagar.
The matter came to light some months back when an advocate, Jitendra Garg, filed a complaint with police claiming his phone call records were being procured illegally.
"A probe was ordered into Garg`s complaint, and it was learnt that the official e-mail ID of ACP Kalkaji was used last year for procuring Garg`s call records illegally," said the officer.
Seven people, including three policemen, have already been arrested within a week during investigations into Bharatiya Janata Party senior leader Arun Jaitley`s phone-tapping case. It was found these men had also sought call records of other politicians. They had also sought details of the phone calls made by some businessmen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video