Anoushka`s alleged blackmailer seeks bail
New Delhi: A man, who was arrested for
allegedly trying to extort money from Anoushka Shankar,
daughter of Sitar maestro Pt Ravi Shankar, after obtaining her
private photographs by hacking her emails, today sought bail
from a Delhi court but Delhi Police opposed the relief.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Kaveri Baweja, after
hearing arguments from accused Junaid Khan and prosecution,
reserved the order on the application for tomorrow.
In his plea, Khan, arrested from Mumbai by Delhi
Police`s Special Cell on September 14, claimed he belongs to a
respectable family and had been implicated in the case.
The accused said he was a sub-dealer in a share trading
firm. "The present FIR was the first case against him and the
police had also failed to recover anything from him," his
Public Prosecutor Naveen Kumar, on the other hand,
opposed the bail saying the accused had demanded USD 1,22,000
from Shankar, who is residing in the USA, on the basis of her
private picture retrieved after hacking her emails.
A senior Home Ministry official had shot off a letter
to the Delhi Police on August eight on a complaint forwarded
to him by Pt Ravi Shankar stating his daughter was being
harassed and blackmailed on the material stolen from her
emails and lap-top and being asked huge money in return for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday