Anti-sealing Bill passed in Lok Sabha amid din
New Delhi: Giving interim relief to Delhi
residents, the Lok Sabha on Friday gave its nod amid the din to a
Bill preventing sealing of unauthorised commercial
constructions in the city.
The moratorium under the National Capital Territory of
Delhi Laws (Special Provision) Bill will be extended for a
year till December 31, 2011.
The Bill moved by Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath
was passed by voice vote without debate and amidst slogan
shouting by Opposition members on the `Cash-for-vote` scam.
The anti-sealing laws shall be deemed to have come
into effect from January 1, 2011 after its enactment in
Aiming to prevent sealing and demolition of a large
number of unauthorised constructions, the Bill seeks to
maintain status quo with respect to unauthorised colonies,
including village abadis (settlements) and their extensions,
storages, warehouses and godowns for farm produce and some
other categories in the city.
The Bill which also aims to extend the relief to urban
villages will now go to the Rajya Sabha.
Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) had restarted the
sealing and demolition drive in the capital after the earlier
ordinance expired on December 31 last year. The civic body was
bound by orders of the Supreme Court to resume the sealing of
unauthorised commercial properties.
Commercial establishments operating illegally in farm
houses and other places in nearly 400 rural areas and
urbanised villages of Delhi are expected to get a reprieve
after the enactment of the Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened