Anti-sealing Bill passed in Lok Sabha amid din
New Delhi: Giving interim relief to Delhi
residents, the Lok Sabha on Friday gave its nod amid the din to a
Bill preventing sealing of unauthorised commercial
constructions in the city.
The moratorium under the National Capital Territory of
Delhi Laws (Special Provision) Bill will be extended for a
year till December 31, 2011.
The Bill moved by Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath
was passed by voice vote without debate and amidst slogan
shouting by Opposition members on the `Cash-for-vote` scam.
The anti-sealing laws shall be deemed to have come
into effect from January 1, 2011 after its enactment in
Aiming to prevent sealing and demolition of a large
number of unauthorised constructions, the Bill seeks to
maintain status quo with respect to unauthorised colonies,
including village abadis (settlements) and their extensions,
storages, warehouses and godowns for farm produce and some
other categories in the city.
The Bill which also aims to extend the relief to urban
villages will now go to the Rajya Sabha.
Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) had restarted the
sealing and demolition drive in the capital after the earlier
ordinance expired on December 31 last year. The civic body was
bound by orders of the Supreme Court to resume the sealing of
unauthorised commercial properties.
Commercial establishments operating illegally in farm
houses and other places in nearly 400 rural areas and
urbanised villages of Delhi are expected to get a reprieve
after the enactment of the Bill.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!