Anti-Sikh riots: SC to give verdict on Sajjan`s appeal
New Delhi: The Supreme Court will pronounce its verdict on Monday on a petition filed by senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar challenging initiation of criminal proceedings against him in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases.
A bench comprising Justices P Sathasivam and AR Dave had reserved its judgement on September 13 on the appeal filed by Kumar against the Delhi High Court decision which had on July 19 refused to stay the trial against him.
The high court had then refused to quash various charges, including that of murder, against Kumar saying the delay in prosecution has apparently benefited him.
The apex court on August 13 had stayed for two weeks the trial proceedings against Kumar.
The Congress leader has now contended that the observations made by the High Court could have a bearing on the trial.
In a special leave petition, Kumar argued that the complainants` testimony against him were unreliable and the High Court made various observations uncalled for that could
determine the fate of the trial.
The CBI had defended its decision to re-investigate the case against Kumar for his alleged involvement in the riots, saying it was a decision taken by Parliament.
Kumar, a former Outer Delhi MP, is facing prosecution in two cases in which he was accused of inciting a mob against Sikh community in the aftermath of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi`s assassination on October 31, 1984.
The trial court had in May this year framed charges against Kumar under Sections 302 (murder), 395 (dacoity), 427 (mischief to cause damage to property), 153A (promoting enmity between different communities) and other provisions of IPC paving the way for his trial as well as that of five others.
CBI had accused Kumar of provoking people against members of Sikh community during the carnage that led to the killing of five persons in Delhi Cantonment area.
Besides Kumar, other accused in the case are Balwan Khokhar, Krishan Khokhar, Mahender Yadav, Captain Bhagmal and Girdhari Lal.
CBI had filed two chargesheets against Kumar and others on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of Justice GT Nanavati Commission which
inquired into the sequence of events leading to the riots.
The trial court had on July seven framed charges against the politician in another case in connection with the anti-Sikh riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi