Anti-Sikh riots: Security threat forces adjournment
New Delhi: A suspected "security threat" intimated by the Delhi Police to the court Monday led it to adjourn hearing midway in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case in which Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and others are facing trial.
Court sources said District Judge J R Aryan adjourned the hearing for March 23 after an ACP of the Delhi Police met the judge in his chamber during lunch time and apprised him of intelligence information on "security threat" on court premises.
CBI prosecutor R S Cheema was also called in by the judge and he was informed about it and the proceedings were adjourned by the court which was hearing final arguments by the agency counsel.
The arguments were expected to conclude today following which the court would pronounce its verdict in the high-profile case.
Meanwhile, during the hearing, Cheema, assisted by advocate D P Singh, argued that the statement of prosecution witness Ram Avtar Sharma, who had saved several Sikhs during the riots in Raj Nagar area of Delhi Cantonment, was corroborating its case and there were only minor deviations in his testimony which would not affect the case.
He also said that Ram Avtar`s statement also establishes the presence of another witness Jagsher Singh at the spot.
To strengthen their argument that the Delhi Police had arrested the persons who were saving and providing shelters to the Sikhs, the prosecutor referred to the statement of witness Jagsher Singh.
He said Jagsher Singh had deposed that a Hindu man (Ram Avtar) was arrested by police for providing shelter to Sikhs during the carnage.
Former Delhi MP Sajjan Kumar is facing trial along with five others - Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal - for allegedly inciting a mob against the Sikh community in Delhi Cantonment area.
The case relates to anti-Sikh riots that had broken out after the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly