Antony downplays Army-IAF tussle on control of attack choppers
New Delhi: Seeking to downplay the tussle between the Army and the Air Force over control of attack helicopters, Defence Minister A K Antony on Tuesday said it was a "family problem" and the government is in final stages of resolving it.
The Army has been demanding control over attack and medium-lift helicopters, saying they are mainly used for its operations and that is why they should be under it. The IAF has strongly opposed the demand.
"There is no tussle and there is no war. These are all family problems and we will find a solution. We are in the final stages of finding the solution amicably. Don`t go beyond that," he told reporters on the sidelines of the Territorial Army Day parade here.
He was asked if the Defence Ministry has rejected the Army`s demand to have its own fleet of attack and medium-lift helicopters over which the two services are engaged in a battle.
The IAF recently said it has rejected the Army`s demand to have their own attack and medium-lift helicopters contending that the country can`t afford to have these "little air forces" growing up to do their "own things".
Commenting on its proposal, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh said the Defence Ministry holds a very "sympathetic view" about the demand raised by the Army for having its own attack helicopters.
It is still under the active consideration of the Ministry and it is not correct for anyone to say that the Ministry has shelved the Army`s proposal in this regard, he said.
IAF chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne has said "little air forces" cannot be allowed to grow up while asking if the Coast Guard asks for submarines, will it be given the assets by the Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- LIVE: This is the first Prime Minister-like action by Narendra Modi, says Rahul Gandhi on surgical strikes
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’