`Antony ordered CBI probe into BEML deal in 2009`
New Delhi: Under attack over alleged inaction on corruption charges, Government on Friday said Defense Minister A K Antony has ordered a CBI probe into a case relating to public sector undertaking BEML even as inquiry was on into a complaint about an alleged scam in purchase of Tatra trucks.
An official release said that Antony`s sanction for a CBI investigation was given in a case relating to BEML on February 21, much before a newspaper report was published on March 26.
On Monday, The Hindu had carried an interview of Army Chief Gen V K Singh who claimed that a lobbyist had offered him Rs 14 crore as bribe for clearing a deal for purchase of "sub-standard" vehicles of a particular make for the army.
Regarding a fresh controversy that Antony allegedly did not act on a 2009 complaint about a scam in the purchase of vehicles by BEML, the Defense Ministry release said after receiving a letter from ministerial colleague Ghulam Nabi Azad
on October 5, 2009, the Defense Minister had asked Secretary Defense Production to look into various issues raised in the complaint.
"Records show that the vigilance wings of Ministry of Defense and BEML are examining the matter and there is also correspondence between the CBI and the Chief Vigilance Officer of BEML on these allegations," the release said.
Azad had forwarded the complaint of D Hanumanthapa, President of the Karnataka wing of All India Federation of SC, ST, Backward Class, Minority Employees Welfare Association on BEML addressed to Sonia Gandhi to Antony.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour in Rajya Sabha, Prakash Javadekar of BJP questioned whether the minister was patronising corruption as no action has been taken against anybody though a probe was ordered two years back.
He rejected Antony`s contention that he did not act on the Army Chief`s information on bribe offer in absence of any written complaint and claimed that a written complaint did exist.
"If the probe in Tatra trucks is continuing from 2009 to 2011, if it is not completed in two years, then this government and this Defense Minister are trying to cover up
If you are patronising corruption, you have no right to remain in power. The Defense Minister should resign," Javadekar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams