Apprise us about Chandni Chowk development plan: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday asked the DDA to apprise it of the development plan, authenticated by the Urban Development Ministry, for the congested Chandni Chowk area in the walled city here.
The bench headed by Justice S Ravindra Bhat also expressed its displeasure over non-implementation of its earlier direction to ensure non-motorised vehicle (NMV) lane in Chandni Chowk area.
It, meanwhile, exempted Principal Secretary, PWD, against whom a fresh contempt plea is pending for not implementing the court orders, from personal appearance on May 13.
The Delhi government had told the court that a proposal to make main road in Chandni Chowk free from motorised vehicles has been approved.
Only emergency and utility vehicles will be allowed on the 1.6-km stretch between Red Fort and Fatehpuri Masjid and a tram service will be introduced to restore the glory of walled city, it had said.
The court had then directed the government to circulate the proposal naming the stakeholders and file an affidavit on or before April 24.
The proposal provided that all private vehicles would be banned on the main Chandni Chowk road and a separate lane would be made for non-motorised vehicles and pedestrian traffic.
The court is hearing a PIL, filed by NGO Manushi Sangathan in 2007, seeking directions to ensure redevelopment of the Chandni Chowk area.
There are so many pedestrians on the road, and there are lanes branching out of the main road. A tram service will neither be safe for pedestrians nor will it be financially viable, the lawyer for the NGO said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged