Apprise us about Chandni Chowk development plan: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Thursday asked the DDA to apprise it of the development plan, authenticated by the Urban Development Ministry, for the congested Chandni Chowk area in the walled city here.
The bench headed by Justice S Ravindra Bhat also expressed its displeasure over non-implementation of its earlier direction to ensure non-motorised vehicle (NMV) lane in Chandni Chowk area.
It, meanwhile, exempted Principal Secretary, PWD, against whom a fresh contempt plea is pending for not implementing the court orders, from personal appearance on May 13.
The Delhi government had told the court that a proposal to make main road in Chandni Chowk free from motorised vehicles has been approved.
Only emergency and utility vehicles will be allowed on the 1.6-km stretch between Red Fort and Fatehpuri Masjid and a tram service will be introduced to restore the glory of walled city, it had said.
The court had then directed the government to circulate the proposal naming the stakeholders and file an affidavit on or before April 24.
The proposal provided that all private vehicles would be banned on the main Chandni Chowk road and a separate lane would be made for non-motorised vehicles and pedestrian traffic.
The court is hearing a PIL, filed by NGO Manushi Sangathan in 2007, seeking directions to ensure redevelopment of the Chandni Chowk area.
There are so many pedestrians on the road, and there are lanes branching out of the main road. A tram service will neither be safe for pedestrians nor will it be financially viable, the lawyer for the NGO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- RAW footage Caution: Speeding train runs over man as he lay on rail track – WATCH
- Ravichandran Ashwin, Shikhar Dhawan, Bhuvneshwar Kumar visit three-time NBA champions Miami Heat
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty