Arms dealer Abhishek Verma, wife held
New Delhi: Arms dealer Abhishek Verma and his newly-wed Romanian wife were on Friday arrested by CBI for allegedly receiving money from a Swiss arms company to delist them from the companies blacklisted by Indian government.
Verma and his wife Ancia Neascu were placed under arrest this evening by CBI after they failed to give convincing answers to the investigation agency which registered a fresh case against him yesterday.
Verma, who had been earlier arrested by CBI in connection with alleged fake passport and leaking of secret commercial information from Naval war room to foreign companies, was called to the agency headquarters in the morning along with his wife.
The duo were extensively questioned by the sleuths regarding transactions of funds between Ganton India and Ganton USA, which are claimed to be his front companies, and about his business relationships with estranged associate C Edmon Allen who has leveled series of allegations against him with the US Federal Bureau of Investigation.
CBI had booked Verma in a fresh case alleging that he took USD 530,000 from Rheinmetall Air Defence AG (RAD) on the promise that he would use his influence to stall blacklisting proceedings initiated by the government against it after the Ordnance Factory Board scam had surfaced.
The two would be produced before a designated court tomorrow when CBI would seek his custody.
CBI also questioned the then Director of the Swiss defence company Mohinder Sahni and Arjun Arora whose houses were searched yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!