Army Chief briefs PM on security situation
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi was today briefed by Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on the prevailing security situation and operational readiness of troops in a meeting which lasted for close to three hours.
This was the Army Chief`s first substantial meeting with the Prime Minister and it came on a day when there were ceasefire violations by Pakistan Army along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir.
Defence Minister Arun Jaitley, who was also present in the meeting, is to visit the state tomorrow to review the security situation.
"The briefing was broad-based. It was a detailed review of the security situation, including the internal security situation. The status of operational readiness was also discussed besides the future challenges that need to be attended," a defence spokesperson said.
National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Minister of State for Defence Rao Inderjit Singh and Army Chief-designate Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, who is presently the Vice-Chief, were also present in the meeting.
The briefing, sources said, began at 10 AM and lasted till 12.40 PM.
Pakistan troops violated the ceasefire today by targeting Indian posts along the LoC in Poonch sector of Jammu & Kashmir with heavy firing and mortar shelling, drawing retaliation by Indian forces.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah questioned the timing of the ceasefire violation as Jaitley will visit the state tomorrow for the first time since assuming office.
The violation was termed as "significant" by Omar as some of the shells had landed in civilian areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in