Army Chief briefs PM on security situation
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi was today briefed by Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh on the prevailing security situation and operational readiness of troops in a meeting which lasted for close to three hours.
This was the Army Chief`s first substantial meeting with the Prime Minister and it came on a day when there were ceasefire violations by Pakistan Army along the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir.
Defence Minister Arun Jaitley, who was also present in the meeting, is to visit the state tomorrow to review the security situation.
"The briefing was broad-based. It was a detailed review of the security situation, including the internal security situation. The status of operational readiness was also discussed besides the future challenges that need to be attended," a defence spokesperson said.
National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Minister of State for Defence Rao Inderjit Singh and Army Chief-designate Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, who is presently the Vice-Chief, were also present in the meeting.
The briefing, sources said, began at 10 AM and lasted till 12.40 PM.
Pakistan troops violated the ceasefire today by targeting Indian posts along the LoC in Poonch sector of Jammu & Kashmir with heavy firing and mortar shelling, drawing retaliation by Indian forces.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah questioned the timing of the ceasefire violation as Jaitley will visit the state tomorrow for the first time since assuming office.
The violation was termed as "significant" by Omar as some of the shells had landed in civilian areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!