Army Chief V K Singh to visit Tajikistan
New Delhi: Army Chief General V K Singh will
embark on a four-day official visit to Tajikistan from
tomorrow, aiming to strengthen bilateral relations and defence
cooperation with the Central Asian nation.
Singh will be in Tajikistan till November 13 and during
the visit he will interact with that country`s top security
"The Army Chief`s visit will further cement our defence
relationship with a key friendly country in our extended
neighbourhood and provide an impetus to our defence
cooperation roadmap in Central Asia," an Army press release
said here today.
"The visit assumes special significance in the light of
enhanced defence cooperation between the two countries. The
Army Chief`s visit underpins India`s priorities in maintaining
peaceful and cordial ties with her immediate and extended
neighbourhood," it added.
India was one of the first countries to recognise
Tajikistan as an independent nation and there have been a
series of high-level visits between the two countries to build
up trust and mutual confidence.
Both sides have indicated a desire to further strengthen
people-to-people contact, military-to-military cooperation
and cultural bonds.
In the early part of the 21st Century, India had
reconstructed the Aini air base outside Tajikistan`s capital
President Prathiba Patil had a very successful state
visit to Tajikistan in September 2009, which was the first
ever by an Indian President to any Central Asian country.
Defence cooperation between the two friendly countries
was formalised through various basic agreements from 2001-02.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India