Army Chief V K Singh to visit Tajikistan
New Delhi: Army Chief General V K Singh will
embark on a four-day official visit to Tajikistan from
tomorrow, aiming to strengthen bilateral relations and defence
cooperation with the Central Asian nation.
Singh will be in Tajikistan till November 13 and during
the visit he will interact with that country`s top security
"The Army Chief`s visit will further cement our defence
relationship with a key friendly country in our extended
neighbourhood and provide an impetus to our defence
cooperation roadmap in Central Asia," an Army press release
said here today.
"The visit assumes special significance in the light of
enhanced defence cooperation between the two countries. The
Army Chief`s visit underpins India`s priorities in maintaining
peaceful and cordial ties with her immediate and extended
neighbourhood," it added.
India was one of the first countries to recognise
Tajikistan as an independent nation and there have been a
series of high-level visits between the two countries to build
up trust and mutual confidence.
Both sides have indicated a desire to further strengthen
people-to-people contact, military-to-military cooperation
and cultural bonds.
In the early part of the 21st Century, India had
reconstructed the Aini air base outside Tajikistan`s capital
President Prathiba Patil had a very successful state
visit to Tajikistan in September 2009, which was the first
ever by an Indian President to any Central Asian country.
Defence cooperation between the two friendly countries
was formalised through various basic agreements from 2001-02.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?