Army man refuses to come down mobile tower
New Delhi: Adamant on his demand to speak to Defence Minister A K Antony, an Armyman who climbed a 200 ft high mobile tower here alleging harassment refused to come down for the second day today.
K Muthu, who is attached with Engineers Regiment, climbed the tower at Ajmeri Gate at around 1 PM yesterday and refused to come down till late night despite appeals by police and officers of Army, a senior police official said.
The 35-year-old sepoy in Army said over phone, "I want to meet the Defence Minister. I will come down only if I`m allowed to meet the minister."
Colleagues from his unit are taking turns to be with him atop the tower and trying to convince him.
Hailing from Tuticorin district of Tamil Nadu, Muthu has alleged he was transferred five times in five years.
He said, "This is not a problem faced by me alone. I`m presenting the problems faced by many jawans in Army."
On Friday, he had thrown a bunch of papers and in one of the letters, he demanded his discharge from service due to alleged harassment by seniors. In the letter, he has also requested the commanding officer to get his salary of the last eight months cleared.
Rubbishing the allegations levelled by the sepoy, a senior army official said, "There is nothing like that. Muthu has taken more leaves than he has been sanctioned. In fact, he would be given a fair chance to present his case once he comes down."
Regarding the sepoy`s health, the official said, "Muthu is currently taking only liquids and has refused to have solid food. We have sent colleagues who were with him in his regiment but he is not cooperating with them also."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!