Armyman still atop mobile tower
New Delhi: Seventy-two hours have passed but an Armyman, who climbed a 200 ft mobile tower here four days back alleging harassment, remained defiant on Monday as he refused to come down, insisting he should be allowed to meet Defence Minister AK Antony.
K Muthu, who is attached with Engineers Regiment, climbed the tower at Ajmeri Gate at around 1 PM on Friday and refused to come down despite appeals by police and Army officials over the past four days.
The 35-year-old sepoy, hailing from Tuticorin district of Tamil Nadu, alleged that he was transferred five times in five years and wants to meet the Defence Minister with his complaints.
Colleagues from his unit are taking turns to be with him atop the tower and trying to convince him but in vain.
On Friday, he had thrown a bunch of papers and in one of the letters, he demanded his discharge from service due to alleged harassment by seniors.
He had also requested the commanding officer in the letter to get his salary of the last eight months cleared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- Congress 'weak' to stop Modi; Rahul 'out of touch' with reality: Hansraj Bhardwaj