Armyman still atop mobile tower
New Delhi: Seventy-two hours have passed but an Armyman, who climbed a 200 ft mobile tower here four days back alleging harassment, remained defiant on Monday as he refused to come down, insisting he should be allowed to meet Defence Minister AK Antony.
K Muthu, who is attached with Engineers Regiment, climbed the tower at Ajmeri Gate at around 1 PM on Friday and refused to come down despite appeals by police and Army officials over the past four days.
The 35-year-old sepoy, hailing from Tuticorin district of Tamil Nadu, alleged that he was transferred five times in five years and wants to meet the Defence Minister with his complaints.
Colleagues from his unit are taking turns to be with him atop the tower and trying to convince him but in vain.
On Friday, he had thrown a bunch of papers and in one of the letters, he demanded his discharge from service due to alleged harassment by seniors.
He had also requested the commanding officer in the letter to get his salary of the last eight months cleared.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners