Arrested ex-wrestler Morkheri among top 10 NCR criminals
New Delhi: Delhi Police today described Manoj Morkheri, whom they arrested here after a shootout, as one among the top 10 criminals of the NCR and said he was allegedly involved in killing of a Haryana Police Inspector.
Morkheri and two of his associates, Vivek and Praveen, were arrested while another Rakesh, a former wrestler, was shot dead in the encounter which took place in Alipur yesterday, Ravindra Yadav, Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime), said. Another associate Rinku managed to flee.
"Morkheri is one of the `Top Ten` criminals and one of the most dreaded gangsters of NCR. Police in Delhi, Haryana and Rajasthan had declared rewards for his arrests. His gang fired indiscriminately at police and in the ensuing exchange of fire Rakesh got injured and later succumbed to injuries," he claimed.
Morkheri is wanted in several cases of Delhi, Haryana and Rajasthan and is currently involved in extorting money from bookies and protection money from traders and businessmen, Yadav claimed.
When intercepted in Alipur after a tip-off, the gang allegedly tried to escape after firing at police but were caught, he said.
"The bullet fired by the gang hit the windscreen of police gypsy and the driver had a miraculous escape as he ducked down and saved himself," he said.
During interrogation, Morkheri told about crimes committed by him and his associates, including the murder of an Inspector Ram Kishan Dahiya in Rohtak in January this year, the ACP claimed.
Morkheri entered the world of crime in 2003 when he threw chilli powder in the eyes of policemen carrying a criminal and helped him escape. Same year, he managed to escaped from Behror Jail in Alwar from the custody of Rajasthan Police.
The slain gang member Rakesh got admission in government College in Bahadurgarh. His father used to be `sarpanch` of his village and has very good influence in the adjoining areas.
During his school days, he was inclined towards wrestling and started practising in Chattarsal Stadium from Jan 2003.
"In a very short span of time he became very famous in field of wrestling. He won Bronze medal in Senior State Wrestling Championship held in Delhi in 2006. In 2007 he won Gold medal in the same championship and became State Champion. In 2007, he also won Bronze Medal in Rajeev Gandhi Gold Cup," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule