Arunachal youth`s death: Protest against racial discrimination in Delhi
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
New Delhi: Hundreds of furious students from North-East on Sunday took to the street of the national capital to protest against the recent hate crime incident in which a Arunachal Pradesh student was killed following a merciless assault.
Nido Taniam, 19-year-old son of Congress MLA Nido Pavitra, was allegedly beaten to death by a group of men following an altercation.
Today`s rally, which was organised by Arunachal Students Union Shillong (ASUS), was also joined by the students from Meghalaya, Manipur, Nagaland, Assam and Tripura.
The students started the rally from the Indo-Tibetan Border Police camp carrying placards and shouting slogans alleging the racial discrimination they face in Delhi and ended at the Arunachal House in Cleve Colony area.
Taniam, on Wednesday, had approached shopkeepers in Delhi`s Lajpat Nagar to ask for direction, he got into an altercation after one of the shopkeeper made fun of his hairstyle and allegedly made a racist remark.
After he was reportedly beaten up by iron rods, Taniam was found dead in his bed the next day. The final autopsy report is expected on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?