Arvind Kejriwal — A man of one-shot triumphs
New Delhi: Call it beginner`s luck or outcome of sheer hard work, Arvind Kejriwal has always triumphed the biggest challenges in life at the very first shot, from clearing the IIT entrance exam, cracking the UPSC to becoming an MLA and now the Chief Minister of Delhi.
Born on August 16, 1968 in Hisar in Haryana to Gobind Ram Kejriwal and Gita Devi, Kejriwal cleared the IIT entrance exam in his first attempt just after school in 1985 and graduated as a mechanical engineer from IIT Kharagpur.
After completing his engineering, he joined Tata Steel in 1989 where he worked for three years. He resigned in 1992 and cracked the Civil Services Examination (UPSC) the same year in his first attempt.
Being in government service, Kejriwal was active in taking up social cause and worked for implementation of Right to Information Act at grass root level.
His efforts in the enactment of the RTI Act to empower the poorest citizens of India won him the Ramon Magsaysay Award for Emergent Leadership in 2006.
In February 2006, after resigning from the post of Joint Commissioner in the Income Tax Department, he became a full-time activist and started an NGO, Public Cause Research Foundation, with his award money as the corpus fund.
The 45-year-old came into limelight from the Jan Lokpal agitation led by his one time mentor Anna Hazare in 2011.
He was part of Team Anna, along with first woman IPS officer Kiran Bedi, Prashant Bhushan and others.
While they were feeling "betrayed" by the government when it rejected their draft, the Congress and leaders of other political parties challenged them to join politics, win elections and come to Parliament if they wanted to "fight the system from within", root out corruption and get the Jan Lokpal Bill passed.
The indefatigable activist decided to take a plunge into politics and formed "Aam Aadmi Party" on November 26 last year, after a formal split of Team Anna.
Many laughed at this move and others dismissed Kejriwal as a political greenhorn, but he and his party started poll preparation way ahead in April.
And the outcome was stunning. The nascent AAP not only won 28 out of 70 seats in its debut election in Delhi but Kejriwal himself emerged as a giant killer sweeping Sheila Dikshit out not just from office but also her constituency.
Thumping the three-time Chief Minister by a massive margin of 25,864 votes, Kejriwal became an MLA after contesting his very first elections and is now all set to be the Chief Minster tomorrow.
Governor Najeeb Jung will administer the oath of office and secrecy to him at Ramlila ground, in what seems to be poetic justice as he first shot to fame on this very venue in 2001 during the Janlokpal agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes