Arvind Kejriwal joins Anna Hazare's protest on Day 2: As it happened
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal joined anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare on the second day of protest over Land Acquisition Ordinance at Jantar Mantar on Tuesday.
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal joined anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare on the second day of protest over Land Acquisition Ordinance at Jantar Mantar on Tuesday.
Here are the live updates of the events:
- Kejriwal ends his address.
- I would request him to step into the Secretariat for 10 minutes and address head of the department of Delhi government. This will inspire them.
- I want to tell my guru Anna Hazare that we are with you and completely support this movement.
- It is important to take people along with them. You cannot run a bulldozer over people or else they will run a bulldozer over you
- Nobody will be allowed to acquire land forcibly in Delhi. If someone's land is taken, then it will be done at current market rate, says Kejriwal.
- “If this land ordinance is passed, The Govt will be working as a property dealer of corporates,” the ANI quoted Kejriwal.
- If we want to develop the country, then well have to take the people with us.
- Delhi people have told me that they want school, colleges.
- We oppose the land acquisition ordinance as it is against farmers and is anti-poor.
- Kejriwal addresses supporters.
- Aam Aadmi Party leader Yogendra Yadav arrives at the protest venue.
- Despite the protest, he was later made to sit on the stage.
- As Kejriwal tried to step on the stage after his name was announced, Anna supporters raised slogans and stopped him. Kejriwal then sat on the floor near the stage.
- After arriving at Jantar Mantar, Kejriwal greets Hazare, who is sitting on stage.
- Kejriwal arrives at the venue.
- Former union minister Shashi Tharoor to ANI, “Various protests against the Land Acquisition Bill are happening at various levels, even on the floor of the house. These protests need to be considered by BJP else it will get problematic”.
- MDMK leader Vaiko meets Anna Hazare at the protest venue.
- Sticking to his stand, Anna Hazare said that if party leaders are allowed on stage, then it turns into “party's protest”, according to ANI. However, he added that if other chief ministers of the state join the protest then they will be allowed to come on stage.
- Bharatiya Janata Party will hold a parliamentary board meeting at 6 pm today.
- Deputy Chief Minister of Delhi, Manish Sisodia, is also likely to join the Gandhian leader today.
- Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) took to Twitter today to confirm the recent developments that Arvind Kejriwal will join Anna Hazare at Janatar Mantar at 2 pm today.
— Aam Aadmi Party (@AamAadmiParty) February 24, 2015