Arvind Kejriwal keeps free water, power tariff promise; Congress not impressed
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: With Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal announcing free 667 litres of free water and reducing electricity tariffs in lower slabs, the Congress, which has extended outside support to the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), has accused the newly formed government of misleading people.
The AAP, which won 28 seats, has to prove majority on the floor of Delhi Assembly by January 3 and with Congress expressing unhappiness over Kejriwal`s moves it remains to be seen whether the grand old party votes in favour of the new government on January 02 during the floor test.
Fulfilling yet another major poll promise, the AAP on Tuesday gave a new year`s gift to the people of Delhi and announced a 50 percent subsidy on power consumption of up to 400 units while appearing all set to order a CAG audit of three private power distribution companies.
The power tariff decision was announced a day after AAP implemented the first promise of free water supply of 667 litres a day.
Congress on Tuesday accused AAP of cheating the people by "manipulating" figures to give free water.
The Congress questioned the AAP`s free water move, saying that since half of Delhi does not get water at all, Kejriwal should ensure that these households get water first.
"He had promised that all citizens of Delhi would get free water. But around 50 percent of Delhi does not get water at all. He should ensure that every citizen of Delhi gets free 700 litres of water per day," Congress spokesperson Sandeep Dikshit told reporters.
Meanwhile, ahead of the trust vote on January 2, the Delhi Chief Minister yesterday said he wants to do maximum good for the people in the next 48 hours whether the government stays or not.
"Not sure of Congress and BJP. We are not bothered whether the government survives or not. We are running the government assuming that we have just 48 hours with us. We want to do the maximum good to the people, if we can in this time," he told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video