Arvind Kejriwal launches `bijli-paani satyagraha`
New Delhi: Activist Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday launched a `bijli-paani satyagraha` here to protest against "inflated" power and water bills and hike in tariffs by restoring electricity connection to the household of a labourer which was disconnected for non-payment of bills.
The protest was launched at Tigri Colony this morning when Kejriwal and his supporters restored the power connection of the labourer, who claimed that he got a bill for Rs 15,000 last month and connection disconnected as he could not pay it.
"Bijli Paani satyagraha has started in Delhi. Stop paying electricity and water bills till Delhi government withdraws tariff hikes. Let`s unite and fight corruption. If they disconnect power, people will reach in large numbers to reconnect," Kejriwal said.
He said Delhi will show the way in this "Civil Disobedience Movement. "I will personally come and reconnect your electricity connection if they disconnect. I will take the punishment. We are ready to go to jail for this. Let`s not accept corruption and injustice," he said.
He claimed that MPs and former MPs owe huge amounts to power companies but their connections were not disconnected. "Poor people are being terrorized," he said.
He said the India Against Corruption will hold a dharna tomorrow and burn electricity bills in 114 municipal wards.
"The Delhi government must roll back the hike before November three or we will protest again on November 4 and gherao Sheila Dikshit`s house. We challenge them to try to cut the electricity of anyone in Delhi," Kejriwal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say