Arvind Kejriwal on indefinite fast over power, water bills
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal Saturday began an indefinite hunger strike to protest increased power and water bills in Delhi. The BJP too held a separate protest on the issue.
"In order to take the fear out of the minds and hearts of the people and to unite them, I`m sitting on an indefinite fast. This time, we are not demanding anything from the government. My appeal is directly to the people of Delhi," Kejriwal said in a statement.
He said he would stop paying his electricity and water bills and asked others to also do the same.
"Let`s all unite...Don`t be scared," he said.
Kejriwal began his fast in the morning at a house in Sunder Nagri in east Delhi. He said the house owner had to borrow money to pay his water and electric bills.
He said if most of the people stopped paying the bills, no government would have the courage to disconnect anyone`s power supply.
According to Yogendra Yadav, an associate of Kejriwal, the fast sought to "recover the legacy of India`s national movement".
"Though Arvind`s health is a matter of concern for us, as a political move, we unanimously agreed he should go ahead (with the fast)," Yadav said.
Kejriwal told reporters Friday that the time had come to motivate people against the "illegal rise" in taxes.
AAP members will also protest in 264 wards across te city and launch door-to-door campaign, asking people not to pay bills according to the increased tariff.
Kejriwal alleged that Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had colluded with power and water companies and illegally increased the tariff.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) too protested against "bloated" electricity and water bills outside Dikshit`s official residence.
Holding party flags and placards, the BJP workers raised slogans against the chief minister and the power and water department.
"The government is looting the common man with bloated power and water bills. We will continue our protests," BJP leader Vijender Gupta told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow