Arvind Kejriwal on indefinite fast over power, water bills
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejriwal Saturday began an indefinite hunger strike to protest increased power and water bills in Delhi. The BJP too held a separate protest on the issue.
"In order to take the fear out of the minds and hearts of the people and to unite them, I`m sitting on an indefinite fast. This time, we are not demanding anything from the government. My appeal is directly to the people of Delhi," Kejriwal said in a statement.
He said he would stop paying his electricity and water bills and asked others to also do the same.
"Let`s all unite...Don`t be scared," he said.
Kejriwal began his fast in the morning at a house in Sunder Nagri in east Delhi. He said the house owner had to borrow money to pay his water and electric bills.
He said if most of the people stopped paying the bills, no government would have the courage to disconnect anyone`s power supply.
According to Yogendra Yadav, an associate of Kejriwal, the fast sought to "recover the legacy of India`s national movement".
"Though Arvind`s health is a matter of concern for us, as a political move, we unanimously agreed he should go ahead (with the fast)," Yadav said.
Kejriwal told reporters Friday that the time had come to motivate people against the "illegal rise" in taxes.
AAP members will also protest in 264 wards across te city and launch door-to-door campaign, asking people not to pay bills according to the increased tariff.
Kejriwal alleged that Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had colluded with power and water companies and illegally increased the tariff.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) too protested against "bloated" electricity and water bills outside Dikshit`s official residence.
Holding party flags and placards, the BJP workers raised slogans against the chief minister and the power and water department.
"The government is looting the common man with bloated power and water bills. We will continue our protests," BJP leader Vijender Gupta told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list