Arvind Kejriwal rejects UP`s offer of security, Delhi Police approaches him
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: After AAP convener and chief minister designate Arvind Kejriwal refused to accept the security cover offered by Uttar Pradesh police, the Delhi Police on Wednesday made a fresh attempt to make him accept its protection accorded to the occupant of the top post.
Senior Superintendent of Police of Ghaziabad, Dharmendra Yadav, met Kejriwal at his residence in Kausambi after he received a letter from Security branch of Delhi Police to provide security cover to him.
"We have received letter from Delhi Police Security branch regarding security of his residence at Kaushambi. I met him today but he refused to take any security cover," Yadav said. Earlier also, he had refused the security cover offered by Uttar Pradesh police to him.
The Delhi Police once again wrote to Kejriwal requesting him to accept the security he is entitled to as Chief Minister of Delhi, just a day after he had had refused the offer, saying "God is my biggest security." In a letter to Kejriwal s private secretary, Additional Commissioner of Police (Security) V Renganathan wrote that police have been providing security cover to the chief ministers of Delhi and the Chief Minister is given Z category status.
Renganathan said Delhi Police would ensure Kejriwal`s security in the national capital. "His security arrangements would be maintained and if he again refuses to accept security he is entitled to, the personal security officers (PSOs) may not be deployed along with him.
However, the agency is concerned to provide him security which would be given to him," said Renganathan. Kejriwal sought help from the police only for crowd management or screening at a few places.
Kejriwal had been saying that he or his party MLAs would not take security cover, bunglow or cars fitted with red beacon after coming to power. He terms them as part of VIP culture which he had vowed to eradicate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez