Arvind Kejriwal, Somnath Bharti meet Delhi HC CJ
New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and law minister Somnath Bharti Wednesday held a "courtesy meeting" with Justice NV Ramana, Chief Justice of the Delhi High Court, at his residence.
High court sources said the chief justice left for home at around 6 p.m. as he had a meeting with Delhi`s CM and law minister at his residence.
The sources said: "It was a formal courtesy meeting which is held every time a new chief minister takes oath. The meeting lasted for about 20 minutes."
They, however, refused to give details of the meeting.
Bharti has already been under fire after he called a meeting of all district judges in Delhi, and Principal Secretary (Law) AS Yadav, a district judge on deputation to the Delhi government, even shot off a letter to the Delhi High Court in this regard.
Yadav rejected Bharti`s proposal of judges` meeting, expressing his inability to convene a meeting of all Delhi court judges at the state secretariat.
Yadav told the minister that the judiciary is independent of the executive and only the Delhi High Court can summon a meeting of judges.
Yadav had tried to reason with Bharti, himself a trained lawyer, that it was unthinkable for a minister or anyone representing the executive to summon a meeting of the judges.
Lawyers in Delhi also condemned Bharti`s move, contending that the judiciary was not under the control of the executive and political authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron