Arvind Kejriwal to take oath as Delhi CM at Ramlila Maidan on Dec 26
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Delhi Municipal Corporation North (MCD North Delhi) on Monday confirmed that Lt Governor Najeeb Jung has booked sprawling Ramlila Maidan for the oath-taking ceremony of AAP founder leader Arvind Kejriwal as the Delhi Chief Minister on December 26.
Kejriwal had earlier today announced that his party would form a government with Congress backing to end a fortnight-long deadlock.
The 45-year-old Ramon Magsaysay award winner met the Lt Governor and staked his claim to assume office. Without specifying a date, he had said he and his ministers would take oath at Ramlila Maidan.
The Ramlila ground is where Gandhian Anna Hazare`s 12-day fast in 2011 for a Jan Lokpal triggered mass solidarity protests across India. Kejriwal and Hazare were together then but have since fallen out.
The Lt Governor had invited the AAP to try form a government after the Bharatiya Janata Party, which finished with 31 seats, declined to do so as it lacked majority support.
The Congress, in order to slight the BJP, announced that its eight legislators would prop up the AAP. The AAP decided to seek people`s views on whether or not it should take support from the Congress.
That led to a five-day referendum where people were asked to say `yes` or `no`. On Monday, Kejriwal announced that an overwhelming majority had given their thumbs up to an AAP government.
An engineer by training and a former Indian Revenue Service officer whose social activism won him the Ramon Magsaysay award, Kejriwal didn`t say who will be the new chief minister.
But party leader Manish Sisodia declared that the top post would go to Kejriwal, who led the one-year-old AAP to a dream debut in the election in which the Congress was routed.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?