Arvind Kejriwal will work for people as a caretaker: Shazia Ilmi
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Shazia Ilmi on Saturday said the party understands the plight of the people, and that`s why they have given the party a chance.
Ilmi, who is attending the swearing-in ceremony of party chief Arvind Kejriwal, said, "We have done a lot of hard work and understood the concerns of people by going to them. That`s why the people have given us a chance."
"When Neil Armstrong stepped on Moon, he had said it is a step for man, but a giant leap for mankind. This also might look a small step, but it is a great leap for people and democracy. And Arvind Kejriwal will work for the people as a caretaker. We are associated with the problems of people," she added.
On Anna Hazare, who is not attending the ceremony, Ilmi said, "As Arvind has said, he is always in our hearts and will always rule this place. If he had come here, then, we all would have been very happy. We miss him very much."
Kejriwal will become Delhi`s youngest chief minister today at the age of 45, and will be accompanied by other MLA`s of his Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
After the oath-taking ceremony, Kejriwal and AAP legislators will hold their first Cabinet meeting. They are expected to work on Sunday as well.
He has been asked to prove his majority in the state Assembly by January 3.
His first big challenge is grappling with a 10 percent hike in CNG prices, announced on Thursday.
Auto drivers in the city, who form a huge section of his supporters, have threatened a strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert