Arvind Kejriwal will work for people as a caretaker: Shazia Ilmi
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Shazia Ilmi on Saturday said the party understands the plight of the people, and that`s why they have given the party a chance.
Ilmi, who is attending the swearing-in ceremony of party chief Arvind Kejriwal, said, "We have done a lot of hard work and understood the concerns of people by going to them. That`s why the people have given us a chance."
"When Neil Armstrong stepped on Moon, he had said it is a step for man, but a giant leap for mankind. This also might look a small step, but it is a great leap for people and democracy. And Arvind Kejriwal will work for the people as a caretaker. We are associated with the problems of people," she added.
On Anna Hazare, who is not attending the ceremony, Ilmi said, "As Arvind has said, he is always in our hearts and will always rule this place. If he had come here, then, we all would have been very happy. We miss him very much."
Kejriwal will become Delhi`s youngest chief minister today at the age of 45, and will be accompanied by other MLA`s of his Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
After the oath-taking ceremony, Kejriwal and AAP legislators will hold their first Cabinet meeting. They are expected to work on Sunday as well.
He has been asked to prove his majority in the state Assembly by January 3.
His first big challenge is grappling with a 10 percent hike in CNG prices, announced on Thursday.
Auto drivers in the city, who form a huge section of his supporters, have threatened a strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened