Arvind Kejriwal`s fast against inflated power, water bills enters day 2
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal continued his indefinite hunger strike against ‘inflated’ power and water bills in Delhi for the second day on Sunday.
In a statement issued here, the party claimed 36,743 citizens of Delhi signed up for AAP`s Civil Disobedience Movement and promised not to pay power and water bills.
"They have joined Aam Aadmi Party`s Civil Disobedience and have boldly given in writing they will no longer pay these bills," the statement said.
"In order to take the fear out of the minds and hearts of the people and to unite them, I`m sitting on an indefinite fast. This time, we are not demanding anything from the government. My appeal is directly to the people of Delhi," Kejriwal said in a statement yesterday.
He said he would stop paying his electricity and water bills and asked others to also do the same.
Kejriwal began his fast in the morning at a house in Sunder Nagri in East Delhi. He said the house owner had to borrow money to pay his water and electric bills.
He said if most of the people stopped paying the bills, no government would have the courage to disconnect anyone`s power supply.
AAP members will also protest in 264 wards across te city and launch door-to-door campaign, asking people not to pay bills according to the increased tariff.
Kejriwal alleged that Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had colluded with power and water companies and illegally increased the tariff.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?