Arvind Kejriwal`s Rail Bhavan agitation: SC decides not to go ahead with issues
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday decided not to go ahead with the several issues arising in the wake of the then Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal`s role in a leading protest while holding constitutional office in January this year.
The court, which on Janaury 24 had asked the Ministry of Home Affairs and Delhi Government to respond on the issue whether constitutional post holder can resort to agitation in violation of law, said "the situation has changed".
"We are satisfied this is not a fit case to proceed further. Let the petition be dismissed," a bench comprising Chief Justice R M Lodha and Justices Kurian Joseph and Rohinton Nariman said.
The PIL filed by advocate M L Sharma, had raised various issues including whether constitutional post holder can resort to agitation in violation of law.
Kejriwal along with his supporters had gathered outside the Rail Bhavan despite prohibitory orders under Section 144 of Code of Criminal Procedure barring assembly of five and more persons being in force.
AAP was demanding action against policemen who refused to carry out a raid on an alleged drug and prostitution ring on the then Delhi minister Somnath Bharti`s directive.
At that time, the apex court had agreed to examine "whether chief minister/minister is allowed to play a double role, i.e. Holding constitutional office and street agitator against the constitutional systems in a same time, under the constitution of India?
In the PIL, the advocate had raised questions whether chief minister minister can highlight any demand via means other than permitted constitutional systems under Artice 256.
The petitioner had asked whether chief minister/minister have any legal authority to act as a police officer under CrPC/Constitution to raid or detain any women in the midnight?
He wanted to know whether chief minister/minister can violate constitutional provision & breach the oath of office /secrecy what they took under the third schedule of the constitution?
He asked whether chief minister /minister are liable to be removed or not for the unconstitutional action/misbehaviour/ criminal offence of IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly