Arvind Kejriwal`s supporters halted on way to Sheila Dikshit`s house
New Delhi: The Aam Admi Party activists were on Monday halted by police on their way to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit`s house to deliver lakhs of letters protesting against "inflated" electricity and water bills.
A total of slow-moving 272 autorickshaws were carrying AAP volunteers, with Arvind Kejriwal supporters walking alongside. Many of them carried Indian national flags and shouted anti-government slogans.
The volunteers, who have been halted near Pragati Maidan, have been asked by police to send just a small convoy to the Delhi CM.
"Delhi Police stopped us on Bhairon Marg near Pragati Maidan. They said they cannot allow so many auto-rickshaws and people to go to the chief minister`s residence. Police said they would arrange four buses to ferry representatives who will hand over the letters to Dikshit," AAP spokesperson Aswathi Muralidharan told a news agency.
The unique protest began from Sundar Nagri area where AAP convenor Kejriwal`s indefinite hunger strike against the allegedly inflated utility bills entered the 10th day today.
Notably, Kejriwal is not part of the protest march to Dikshit`s house.
The 272 autorickshaws represented the 272 municipal wards in Delhi. Around eight lakh residents of the capital had signed the protest letters.
The protest journey began despite the Delhi Police`s refusal to allow too many autorickshaws to hit the roads.
On Friday, the AAP had said in a statement: "As the number of Delhiites who have decided not to pay their bills swells by the day, the ball is in the court of Shiela Dikshit now. Would she listen to the voice of people who have elected her to power or continue to support private companies?"
Kejriwal`s health is reportedly stable. Doctors said he had lost seven kilograms since he began his fast on March 23.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey