Ask questions regarding the incident: Court to defence lawyers
New Delhi: A special fast track court today disallowed the counsel for the accused in the December 16 gang-rape case from raising questions about the intimate relationship between the victim and her male friend who was with her at the time of the incident.
The court termed such questions as "scandalous" and asked the counsel to limit their queries to those that relate to the incident.
"This question (regarding intimate relations of victim and her friend) is disallowed as it is not relevant. You can`t harass the witness like this. Question is disallowed being scandalous," Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Yogesh Khanna said.
The line of questioning adopted by defence counsels V K Anand and Vivek Sharma, was objected to by Special Public Prosecutor Dayan Krishnan.
Anand was appearing for accused Mukesh, while Vivek Sharma was for Pawan Gupta.
Pawan, Mukesh and four others, including a juvenile had allegedly gangraped the 23-year-old victim and assaulted her male friend, in a moving bus, on the night of December 16, 2012. The girl died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
The judge also reminded V K Anand, appearing for Mukesh, that he cannot ask the witness any questions regarding the interview the 28-year-old youth had given to a news channel as the same has been disallowed as evidence by the apex court.
The youth, during his cross-examination, told the court that after they were both thrown out of the bus, he could not recall most of the details as he was in a state of shock due to his injuries and what had taken place.
He also said that he could not say if the officials in the two PCR vans that arrived at the spot, where they were thrown from the bus, had fought on jurisdictional issues as "at that time I could only hear the cries of my friend".
He also denied the allegation of the defence lawyers that he never wanted his parents to know the true facts of what happened that night and thus he had told them that he had suffered an accident.
The fast track court has so far examined 73 witnesses.
The cross-examination of the victim`s male friend will continue tomorrow.
Vinay, Akshay, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh are facing trial in the case, while the proceedings against another accused Ram Singh have abated after he died on March 11. The sixth accused is facing proceedings before a Juvenile Justice Board.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days