`Assault` on Northeast people: Plea in HC for action against lawyers
New Delhi: A contempt plea was today mentioned before the Delhi High Court seeking action against two lawyers and others for allegedly abusing and manhandling some persons from the northeast inside a district court premises here.
The persons from the northeast, who had gone to Tis Hazari courts on May 23 for recording of the statement of a molestation victim from the region, were allegedly abused and assaulted by some lawyers inside the courtroom of a magistrate.
"Contempt proceedings be initiated against the contemnors as the victims have been denied access to the justice delivery system," senior advocate Indira Jaising, appearing for the northeast citizens, told a bench headed by Chief Justice G Rohini.
The court, however, said that it would hear the contempt plea, which was filed today with the registry, when it is brought on record and fixed the matter for hearing on July 16.
The contempt plea has been filed in a pending PIL which was instituted after the court had taken suo motu cognisance of media reports about the death of Arunachal Pradesh student Nido Tania and had issued a slew of directions on the issue of safety and security of northeast citizens.
The fresh plea has sought initiation of criminal contempt against two Delhi-based lawyers who had allegedly abused and assaulted persons from northeast inside the Tis Hazari Court premises on May 23.
A girl, who was allegedly molested on the night of May 22 outside Vishwa Vidyalaya Metro station by an advocate, was accompanied by her friends and the lawyer to a magisterial court in Tis Hazari for recording of her statement, it said.
The lawyers, who had gathered inside the courtroom in support of their accused colleague, hurled abuses against the victim and her supporters and later, went on to assault some of them, the plea said.
It has also sought a probe "to ascertain the identity of other lawyers who participated in acts of assault and intimidation and aided or abetted the contemnors in their acts of criminal contempt."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre