Assembly session begins on Nov 30 to pass a bill s
New Delhi: Delhi Assembly will have a
two-day special session beginning November 30 to pass a Bill
to facilitate the trifurcation of Municipal Corporation of
Delhi (MCD), a proposal cleared by the Centre on Wednesday.
After a Cabinet meeting, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit
told reporters that the meeting decided to convene a special
session of the Assembly on November 30.
During the two-day session, the Bill to trifurcate the
MCD, the second largest municipal corporation in the country,
will be passed.
The move to split BJP-ruled MCD into three parts is aimed
at ensuring better delivery of civic services and streamlining
As per the proposal, the new civic bodies in North and
South Delhi will have 104 wards each while the civic body in
East Delhi will have 64 wards and a directorate of municipal
services would be set up to coordinate functioning of the
three new bodies.
Home Minister P Chidambaram signed the file giving
approval for trifurcation of MCD yesterday.
The Centre has also approved the proposal for increasing
reservation of seats in the civic body to 50 per cent from the
current 33 per cent.
Officials said the state election commission is likely to
issue notification in early February for civic polls in early
April and the entire process of trifurcation will have to be
completed by January.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!