Astrologer arrested in Delhi for extortion bid
New Delhi: An astrologer was arrested in
the capital for allegedly attempting extort Rs ten lakh from a
businessman who used to visit him regularly, police said
Hargovind Sharma, a resident of Rohini, was arrested
on Wednesday from his Rohini residence following a probe into
a complaint filed by a businessman in west Delhi about threat
calls he received from an unidentified person demanding Rs ten
"The businessman first received the calls on his
number. Later, the caller then started making calls to his
relative`s mobile," Deputy Commissioner of Police (Special
Cell) Alok Kumar said.
The caller told the businessman to pay up or he will
lose all his family members.
Investigators zeroed in on Sharma after technical
surveillance pointed to the astrologer, a senior police
official said. He was arrested and later confessed to his
crime, the official claimed.
"The businessman and his family used to visit him
earlier. Sharma developed an interest in his daughter and when
her marriage was fixed, he planned to extort money," he said.
"Sharma first obtained a new SIM card using a fake
identity card and then he started making threatening calls to
the businessman demanding money," he said.
Three mobile phones used for making threat calls and
two ATM cards were recovered from his possession, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city