ATM cash van theft: Money recovered from UP town
New Delhi: Delhi Police on Saturday claimed that
it has recovered Rs 63.5 lakh from an Uttar Pradesh town in
the sensational case of two men fleeing with Rs 67.5 lakh in a
cash van here a week ago.
A team of investigators from South-East district
allegedly recovered the money from the house of one Pramod,
who is absconding in the case, in Etah yesterday following the
arrest of three persons.
"A raid was conducted at Pramod`s house following
interrogation of Arun Singh who was arrested on February one
and the money was recovered," Amulya Patnaik, Joint
Commissioner of Police (Southern Range), told PTI.
Two persons are still absconding in the case of a
gunman and driver fleeing with the cash from Alakananda in
south-east Delhi on January 28. The cash was meant to be
deposited in different ATMs in the city.
The gunman Sandeep Kumar (24), driver Gautam (20) and
Singh (33) were arrested on February one from UP and Delhi.
Sandeep and Gautam, who worked for Scientific Security
Management Private Ltd which was entrusted with the task of
providing security for the HDFC bank in filling ATMs with
cash, were arrested by Special Cell from the outskirts of
Bulandshahr town while Arun was apprehended from Samalkha by
South-East district police.
Patnaik said efforts were on to arrest the two
"They had planned this heist in November. Sandeep and
Gautam joined the security agency in November and December
under a fake identity and using documents. The driving licence
or the gun licence they produced were found fake," a senior
police official said.
Two custodians along with the driver and the gunman
had on January 28 took Rs 97 lakh with them and loaded some
money in two ATMs. The duo fled with the cash in the van from
outside Alakananda ATM after leaving his gun with the guard of
"They chose the ATM in Alakananda as the vehicle could
not be parked near the ATM. There was some distance. When the
custodians were filling the money, the fled," the official
The trio had told police that they abandoned the cash
van in Haryana`s Faridabad and the cash box in Mathura. "The
absconding duo were handed over the cash to be distributed
among themselves. Arun had arranged the vehicle," he said.
The absconding duo also gave Rs 20,000 each to the
three persons who were arrested. Gaurav was earlier involved
in a case of attempt to murder and theft and was in Meerut
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state