‘Attack against Vadra is directed against Congress`
New Delhi: Congress on Monday said the attack on Robert Vadra is "not on an individual" but on the party and its leadership, and rejected demands for probe into his dealings with realty major DLF.
"The attack (by Arvind Kejriwal and Prashant Bhushan), which was made under a well-planned conspiracy was not on an individual but on Congress and its leadership. It was alleged that the blackmoney of Congress was invested in it.
If such an allegation is made, a clarification will certainly come from Congress," party spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters.
Replying to questions on whether the Congress does not feel the need for an independent probe to clear the air on the issue, Alvi shot back, "Are those levelling allegations have made any complaint to the government? Have they filed any FIR in any police station?"
The Congress spokesperson said that a probe can happen only when some formal complaint is made to the agencies concerned.
"Will somebody be held guilty only by showing papers in front of cameras? They are acting like police, prosecutor and judge all rolled into one. There is a rule of law. If you have proofs go to the agencies or the court.
"Since they know that the allegations are baseless and unsubstantiated, they have not done it. If they had proofs, they would have gone to the court," Alvi said.
Alvi also asked media to show restraint in giving coverage to those seeking "cheap publicity".
"It is regrettable that they are resorting to this type of politics. Nobody can be permitted to play with the stability of the system in the country," he said.
Alluding to Anna Hazare parting ways with Kejriwal after the latter decided to launch a political outfit, Alvi said," Who will trust them? They initially said they have no political interest but now they have formed a party.
When their political mentor is not trusting them, who else will have faith in these people?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened