Attack on judges: Delhi lawyers on day-long strike
New Delhi: The lawyers of all six district courts in the national capital are Friday observing a day-long strike to protest against the attack on three judges here by two motorcyclists in south Delhi.
The incident took place last evening in Dakshinpuri area when Additional District Judge Inderjit Singh, Additional Sessions Judge M K Nagpal and Metropolitan Magistrate Ajay Garg of Saket district courts were going in a car towards Ambedkar Nagar.
Kuldeep Sehrawat, Chairman of the district courts bar association coordination committee, said that the incidents of road rage are at a rise in Delhi and even the judicial officers are not safe here.
"We are condemning the attack. When judges are not safe in the country`s capital, what will be the condition of others. The law and order situation here is very bad. Police must take strict action against the offenders," he said.
According to the police, when the judges reached Dakshinpuri, a motorcycle hit their vehicle, following which the bikers accosted them (judges) and assaulted magistrate Garg and the driver of the car.
Magistrate Garg has suffered head injuries while ADJ Singh and ASJ Nagpal escaped unhurt.
Garg and the driver, who were injured in the incident, were rushed to AIIMS Trauma Centre.
The attackers fled the scene leaving the motorcycle at the spot.
Rajiv Khosla, former president of Delhi Bar Association, said that the lawyers have decided to abstain from work today to lodge protest against the road rage incident.
"Such incidents are increasing day by day. Police is looking very ineffective. Government should make a strict law against the road rage cases and it should not be taken lightly," he said.
The lawyers` strike has paralyzed the working at all the six district courts at Patiala House, Saket, Karkardooma, Tis Hazari, Dwarka and Rohini.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city