Attack on judges: Delhi lawyers on day-long strike
New Delhi: The lawyers of all six district courts in the national capital are Friday observing a day-long strike to protest against the attack on three judges here by two motorcyclists in south Delhi.
The incident took place last evening in Dakshinpuri area when Additional District Judge Inderjit Singh, Additional Sessions Judge M K Nagpal and Metropolitan Magistrate Ajay Garg of Saket district courts were going in a car towards Ambedkar Nagar.
Kuldeep Sehrawat, Chairman of the district courts bar association coordination committee, said that the incidents of road rage are at a rise in Delhi and even the judicial officers are not safe here.
"We are condemning the attack. When judges are not safe in the country`s capital, what will be the condition of others. The law and order situation here is very bad. Police must take strict action against the offenders," he said.
According to the police, when the judges reached Dakshinpuri, a motorcycle hit their vehicle, following which the bikers accosted them (judges) and assaulted magistrate Garg and the driver of the car.
Magistrate Garg has suffered head injuries while ADJ Singh and ASJ Nagpal escaped unhurt.
Garg and the driver, who were injured in the incident, were rushed to AIIMS Trauma Centre.
The attackers fled the scene leaving the motorcycle at the spot.
Rajiv Khosla, former president of Delhi Bar Association, said that the lawyers have decided to abstain from work today to lodge protest against the road rage incident.
"Such incidents are increasing day by day. Police is looking very ineffective. Government should make a strict law against the road rage cases and it should not be taken lightly," he said.
The lawyers` strike has paralyzed the working at all the six district courts at Patiala House, Saket, Karkardooma, Tis Hazari, Dwarka and Rohini.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened