Attack on judges, lawyers abstrained from work
New Delhi: Lawyers of the six district courts in the national Capital on Friday went on a day-long strike protesting the attack on three judicial officers of Saket court by two bikers, partially paralysing the work.
As the lawyers refrained from appearing in proceedings and sought adjournment, no effective hearing took place in several cases in the district courts.
The Bar members of the six district courts had called for the strike for protesting against the "barbaric attack" on three judicial officers of the Saket district courts.
"We strongly condemn the incident of road rage and barbaric attack unleashed by the holligans on the judicial officer of Saket district courts and to express our protest we had decided to restrain from work today," Jagdeep Vats, New Delhi Bar Association (NDBA) Secretary, said.
Avnish Rana Secretary of Dwarka Court Bar Association said, "the lawyers did not appear in their case. Even the judicial officers have also not passed any adverse order as the cause of today`s strike was genuine".
The incident took place last evening in Dakshinpuri area when Additional District Judge Inderjit Singh, Additional Sessions Judge MK Nagpal and Metropolitan Magistrate Ajay Garg of Saket district courts were going in a car towards Ambedkar Nagar.
According to police, when the judges reached Dakshinpuri, a motorcycle hit their vehicle, following which the bikers accosted them (judges) and assaulted magistrate Garg and the driver of the car.
Magistrate Garg has suffered head injuries while ADJ Singh and ASJ Nagpal escaped unhurt.
Garg and the driver, who were injured in the incident, were rushed to AIIMS Trauma Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured