Attack on judges, lawyers abstrained from work
New Delhi: Lawyers of the six district courts in the national Capital on Friday went on a day-long strike protesting the attack on three judicial officers of Saket court by two bikers, partially paralysing the work.
As the lawyers refrained from appearing in proceedings and sought adjournment, no effective hearing took place in several cases in the district courts.
The Bar members of the six district courts had called for the strike for protesting against the "barbaric attack" on three judicial officers of the Saket district courts.
"We strongly condemn the incident of road rage and barbaric attack unleashed by the holligans on the judicial officer of Saket district courts and to express our protest we had decided to restrain from work today," Jagdeep Vats, New Delhi Bar Association (NDBA) Secretary, said.
Avnish Rana Secretary of Dwarka Court Bar Association said, "the lawyers did not appear in their case. Even the judicial officers have also not passed any adverse order as the cause of today`s strike was genuine".
The incident took place last evening in Dakshinpuri area when Additional District Judge Inderjit Singh, Additional Sessions Judge MK Nagpal and Metropolitan Magistrate Ajay Garg of Saket district courts were going in a car towards Ambedkar Nagar.
According to police, when the judges reached Dakshinpuri, a motorcycle hit their vehicle, following which the bikers accosted them (judges) and assaulted magistrate Garg and the driver of the car.
Magistrate Garg has suffered head injuries while ADJ Singh and ASJ Nagpal escaped unhurt.
Garg and the driver, who were injured in the incident, were rushed to AIIMS Trauma Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble