Auto-driver jailed for 6 months for rash driving
New Delhi: An auto driver, held guilty of causing death of a man by his rash and negligent driving, has been sentenced to six months in jail by a Delhi court which said he does not deserve any leniency as an innocent life has been lost due to him.
District judge P S Teji dismissed the appeal filed by Shankar against the order of a magisterial court which had awarded him six months jail term for the offence.
"In view of the fact that an innocent person has lost his life due to rash and negligent act of the appellant (Shankar), in my considered opinion, he does not deserve any leniency.
"No ground is made out either to reduce the sentence or to release the appellant on probation. In my view the sentence of imprisonment awarded to the appellant by the metropolitan magistrate is just and adequate and does not call for any interference," the judge said, adding that there is no merit in Shankar`s appeal.
According to the prosecution, the accident had taken place in November 2007 in Mandawali area here when Shankar had hit the victim, Nitin Gupta, with his auto.
Due to the impact, Gupta had suffered serious injuries and later on he succumbed to the same, it said.
Shankar had challenged the magistrate`s conviction and sentencing order on the ground that the accident had taken place due to sudden breakdown of the front wheel of his vehicle and there was no negligence on his part.
He said due to the breakdown, he had lost balance and the vehicle had hit the victim and after the incident, he himself took Gupta to hospital but this fact was not appreciated by the magistrate.
The judge, however, noted that as per the prosecution evidence, victim`s uncle had deposed that Shankar was driving the vehicle in a rash and negligent manner and had hit Gupta.
The accused was caught by the passersby and then Gupta`s uncle had taken him to hospital, the judge noted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India