Awareness needed for Delhi`s women: Dikshit
New Delhi: Delhi`s women need to be made aware about their rights and the importance of their empowerment, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said here on Saturday.
"We need to make women aware about their powers, only then will they feel empowered. Awareness is more important than legal empowerment," Dikshit said as she flagged off the `bell bajao` campaign against domestic violence.
The campaign, by global human rights organisation Breakthrough, will reach people through video vans that will aim at engaging and educating communities to spread awareness about the protection of women through the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act of 2005.
"The motto should be to reach out to maximum number of women. Aware and sensitive neighbourhood are the keys to curb the menace of domestic violence," Dikshit said.
The campaign, which has already reached over 140 million people across different parts of the country, has reported a 15 percent increase in the reporting of complaints against domestic violence.
"Women are forced to stay mum. That`s what we are raising the campaign for. We want women to come out of the four walls and speak up on the issue," Delhi Women and Child Development Minister Kiran Walia said.
Members of Breakthrough emphasised on the need to sensitise men and women equally. The 15-day campaign will culminate with the International Women`s Day celebrations.
"It is a call to change cultural norms and bring domestic violence to a halt. To set the perfect example, young girls from a theatre group in Lucknow will be a part of this campaign," said Mallika Dutt, president of Breakthrough.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH