Baby girl born in train to be Delhi Metro’s mascot
New Delhi: Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has decided to honour a baby girl, delivered by a woman while travelling in a metro train on Sunday, by declaring the infant as its mascot.
The DMRC, which has now become the lifeline of Delhi and a symbol of modernism, witnessed the birth of a baby girl on Sunday, when Juli Devi, a 27-year-old woman from Faridabad, was travelling in a Metro train to Central Secretariat station when she developed labour pain.
Juli gave birth to the baby at 7.28am near the Khan Market station, a week before her due date on July 30. She was being taken for a routine check up to Safdarjung Hospital. She was to undergo a surgery on July 30 as the unborn baby was reportedly in breach position.
However, on the way, she developed severe labour pains and delivered the baby with the help of two women passengers. Juli had boarded the Metro train with her husband Ranjeet Singh and brother-in-law Sanjeet Singh from Badarpur. The new-born is the couple`s third girl child.
At Central Secretariat station, Metro staff had arranged for a wheelchair and an ambulance. Devi was immediately taken to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.
Doctors at RML Hospital said the mother and baby are fine and will soon be discharged. "The baby weighs around 3.6 kilograms, which is normal," said a doctor.
Meanwhile, DMRC announced in a press statement that they would foot the medical bills incurred by the family at the hospital.
"The Metro authorities took care of all the necessary formalities at the hospital. Initially, the non-availability of nursery for the baby was a cause for concern at the hospital. However, the Metro staff immediately contacted the hospital authorities and sought their cooperation in admitting the baby," said Anuj Dayal, DMRC spokesperson.
Dayal later confirmed that DMRC was planning to make the baby girl their mascot.
Initially, when Devi`s family had not arrived at the hospital, DMRC also stationed two women employees to take care of the mother and child.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17