`Bachelor` rhino of Mumbai leaves for Delhi Zoo
Mumbai: Shiva, the lone male rhinoceros at the Veermata Jijabai Bhonsle Udyan in Byculla here, was on Sunday sent to Delhi`s National Zoological Park.
The 34-year-old rhino was brought to the Byculla Zoo in 1985 from Assam when he was six years old.
The veterinary officers from Delhi had positioned the transport cage near Shiva`s enclosure on August 13, and were waiting for the animal to enter the cage.
A press release from Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai said that an animal has to be shifted to another zoo if the zoo where it is lodged does not have a companion.
The Bombay High Court as well as the National Zoo Authority (NZA) had directed the civic authorities to find a female companion for Shiva in 2004.
However, the MCGM`s search for `bride` at various zoos did not elicit response. The authorities had even approached the Berlin Zoo in Germany, but in vain.
Finally, it was decided that he should be shifted to Delhi zoo, where there are two female rhinos.
Shiva is being taken to Delhi by road, authorities said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert