`Bachelor` rhino of Mumbai leaves for Delhi Zoo
Mumbai: Shiva, the lone male rhinoceros at the Veermata Jijabai Bhonsle Udyan in Byculla here, was on Sunday sent to Delhi`s National Zoological Park.
The 34-year-old rhino was brought to the Byculla Zoo in 1985 from Assam when he was six years old.
The veterinary officers from Delhi had positioned the transport cage near Shiva`s enclosure on August 13, and were waiting for the animal to enter the cage.
A press release from Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai said that an animal has to be shifted to another zoo if the zoo where it is lodged does not have a companion.
The Bombay High Court as well as the National Zoo Authority (NZA) had directed the civic authorities to find a female companion for Shiva in 2004.
However, the MCGM`s search for `bride` at various zoos did not elicit response. The authorities had even approached the Berlin Zoo in Germany, but in vain.
Finally, it was decided that he should be shifted to Delhi zoo, where there are two female rhinos.
Shiva is being taken to Delhi by road, authorities said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- 'Madaari' is outstanding, says Deepika Padukone
- Three Taliban commanders arrested in Afghanistan's Samangan province
- Kamal Haasan still under medical care in hospital
- Kashmir unrest: Policeman injured in Burhan Wani protest dies, death toll rises to 46
- PNB Housing Finance readies Rs 2,500-crore IPO, heads to tier 2, 3 cities