`Bachelor` rhino of Mumbai leaves for Delhi Zoo
Mumbai: Shiva, the lone male rhinoceros at the Veermata Jijabai Bhonsle Udyan in Byculla here, was on Sunday sent to Delhi`s National Zoological Park.
The 34-year-old rhino was brought to the Byculla Zoo in 1985 from Assam when he was six years old.
The veterinary officers from Delhi had positioned the transport cage near Shiva`s enclosure on August 13, and were waiting for the animal to enter the cage.
A press release from Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai said that an animal has to be shifted to another zoo if the zoo where it is lodged does not have a companion.
The Bombay High Court as well as the National Zoo Authority (NZA) had directed the civic authorities to find a female companion for Shiva in 2004.
However, the MCGM`s search for `bride` at various zoos did not elicit response. The authorities had even approached the Berlin Zoo in Germany, but in vain.
Finally, it was decided that he should be shifted to Delhi zoo, where there are two female rhinos.
Shiva is being taken to Delhi by road, authorities said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- School dropout biggest crisis in India, says Singapore Deputy PM
- Italy quake death toll hits 278, state funeral planned
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case
- Records aside, US Open getting personal for Serena Williams
- World Risk Report 2016: India ranks 77th in world disaster risk index