`Bachelor` rhino of Mumbai leaves for Delhi Zoo
Mumbai: Shiva, the lone male rhinoceros at the Veermata Jijabai Bhonsle Udyan in Byculla here, was on Sunday sent to Delhi`s National Zoological Park.
The 34-year-old rhino was brought to the Byculla Zoo in 1985 from Assam when he was six years old.
The veterinary officers from Delhi had positioned the transport cage near Shiva`s enclosure on August 13, and were waiting for the animal to enter the cage.
A press release from Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai said that an animal has to be shifted to another zoo if the zoo where it is lodged does not have a companion.
The Bombay High Court as well as the National Zoo Authority (NZA) had directed the civic authorities to find a female companion for Shiva in 2004.
However, the MCGM`s search for `bride` at various zoos did not elicit response. The authorities had even approached the Berlin Zoo in Germany, but in vain.
Finally, it was decided that he should be shifted to Delhi zoo, where there are two female rhinos.
Shiva is being taken to Delhi by road, authorities said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral