`Bachelor` rhino of Mumbai leaves for Delhi Zoo
Mumbai: Shiva, the lone male rhinoceros at the Veermata Jijabai Bhonsle Udyan in Byculla here, was on Sunday sent to Delhi`s National Zoological Park.
The 34-year-old rhino was brought to the Byculla Zoo in 1985 from Assam when he was six years old.
The veterinary officers from Delhi had positioned the transport cage near Shiva`s enclosure on August 13, and were waiting for the animal to enter the cage.
A press release from Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai said that an animal has to be shifted to another zoo if the zoo where it is lodged does not have a companion.
The Bombay High Court as well as the National Zoo Authority (NZA) had directed the civic authorities to find a female companion for Shiva in 2004.
However, the MCGM`s search for `bride` at various zoos did not elicit response. The authorities had even approached the Berlin Zoo in Germany, but in vain.
Finally, it was decided that he should be shifted to Delhi zoo, where there are two female rhinos.
Shiva is being taken to Delhi by road, authorities said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka