Bail granted to Delhi BJP president in rioting case
New Delhi: Delhi BJP President Vijender Gupta and six other party leaders were on Wednesday granted bail by a city court in an alleged case of rioting during a protest here last year.
Metropolitan Magistrate (MM) Jasjeet Kaur granted Gupta and other six accused on bail on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 25,000 and a surety of the like amount.
Besides Gupta, the court granted bail to Delhi BJP leaders Pawan Sharma, Pravesh Verma, R P Singh, Rajeshwar Nagpal, Mahender Gupta and Shikha Rai.
The leaders were accused of rioting, unlawful assembly, obstructing public servants in discharge of their official duty and causing hurt to public servants during a protest march in February last year here near Jantar Mantar.
According to the Delhi Police, Gupta and other accused along with around 1,500 party members had assembled at Jantar Mantar to hold protest against price rise, corruption and other issues on February 24 last year.
During the protest, they were asked by the police not to enter the nearby Parliament Street where another protest was going on but the protesters tried to remove the barricades and also damaged public property, the FIR said.
The police alleged that water cannon and tear gas was used to control the protesters but they manhandled the operator of the water cannon and also damaged some DTC buses which were crossing the road there.
The BJP leaders indulged in violent protest in which various police personnel and others were injured, the FIR said.
The BJP leaders, in their bail pleas, said that they have been falsely implicated in the case by the police and their march was a "peaceful procession" under strict observation of the senior office bearers of the state BJP.
The court granted bail to the BJP leaders and has now fixed the case for further hearing on May 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks