Bail granted to Delhi BJP president in rioting case
New Delhi: Delhi BJP President Vijender Gupta and six other party leaders were on Wednesday granted bail by a city court in an alleged case of rioting during a protest here last year.
Metropolitan Magistrate (MM) Jasjeet Kaur granted Gupta and other six accused on bail on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 25,000 and a surety of the like amount.
Besides Gupta, the court granted bail to Delhi BJP leaders Pawan Sharma, Pravesh Verma, R P Singh, Rajeshwar Nagpal, Mahender Gupta and Shikha Rai.
The leaders were accused of rioting, unlawful assembly, obstructing public servants in discharge of their official duty and causing hurt to public servants during a protest march in February last year here near Jantar Mantar.
According to the Delhi Police, Gupta and other accused along with around 1,500 party members had assembled at Jantar Mantar to hold protest against price rise, corruption and other issues on February 24 last year.
During the protest, they were asked by the police not to enter the nearby Parliament Street where another protest was going on but the protesters tried to remove the barricades and also damaged public property, the FIR said.
The police alleged that water cannon and tear gas was used to control the protesters but they manhandled the operator of the water cannon and also damaged some DTC buses which were crossing the road there.
The BJP leaders indulged in violent protest in which various police personnel and others were injured, the FIR said.
The BJP leaders, in their bail pleas, said that they have been falsely implicated in the case by the police and their march was a "peaceful procession" under strict observation of the senior office bearers of the state BJP.
The court granted bail to the BJP leaders and has now fixed the case for further hearing on May 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared