Bail granted to Delhi BJP president in rioting case
New Delhi: Delhi BJP President Vijender Gupta and six other party leaders were on Wednesday granted bail by a city court in an alleged case of rioting during a protest here last year.
Metropolitan Magistrate (MM) Jasjeet Kaur granted Gupta and other six accused on bail on furnishing a personal bond of Rs 25,000 and a surety of the like amount.
Besides Gupta, the court granted bail to Delhi BJP leaders Pawan Sharma, Pravesh Verma, R P Singh, Rajeshwar Nagpal, Mahender Gupta and Shikha Rai.
The leaders were accused of rioting, unlawful assembly, obstructing public servants in discharge of their official duty and causing hurt to public servants during a protest march in February last year here near Jantar Mantar.
According to the Delhi Police, Gupta and other accused along with around 1,500 party members had assembled at Jantar Mantar to hold protest against price rise, corruption and other issues on February 24 last year.
During the protest, they were asked by the police not to enter the nearby Parliament Street where another protest was going on but the protesters tried to remove the barricades and also damaged public property, the FIR said.
The police alleged that water cannon and tear gas was used to control the protesters but they manhandled the operator of the water cannon and also damaged some DTC buses which were crossing the road there.
The BJP leaders indulged in violent protest in which various police personnel and others were injured, the FIR said.
The BJP leaders, in their bail pleas, said that they have been falsely implicated in the case by the police and their march was a "peaceful procession" under strict observation of the senior office bearers of the state BJP.
The court granted bail to the BJP leaders and has now fixed the case for further hearing on May 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?